30 November 1999
EU preferred to NATO on crisis management
The Finns are divided on ways to enhance their military security. An almost equal proportion backs common European defence policy as oppose it. The figures are 45% for and 44% against.
The survey, reported in Helsingin Sanomat (30 November 1999), does reveal, however, a preference of EU crisis management over NATO membership. The support for the latter has dropped to 16%.
According to this survey, the Finns want to see EU crisis management enhanced. Of the people questioned, 76% thought that the EU should have more effective means to prevent and manage international crises.
The Finns are more lukewarm towards the enlargement of the EU. The enlargement is supported by 38%, while 24% oppose accepting new members to the Union.
The survey showed more support for a federal state than is the case among Finnish politicians. Over half of the people questioned supports an EU constitution which would define the powers of member states. This would mean a tighter union. An overwhelming majority also wants basic citizens rights confirmed in an EU Charter.
- Military non-alignment backed by majority (3 December 1999)
- Citizens' rights emphasised as part of EU reform (26 October 1999)
- Finland urged to support UN (19 October 1999)
- Defence plans alarm small EU countries (16 October 1999)
- Aftermath of Kosovo: Europe takes military route to security (October 1999)
- Power of big EU countries raises questions (October 1999)
- Nordic approaches to European unity by Laura Ferreira Pereira (October 1999)
- Northern Dimension brought to centre stage in EU (21 July 1999)
- Non-aligned countries face problems with EU defence (13 July 1999)
- War in Yugoslavia: Non-aligned countries watch warily as NATO sidelines UN (May 1999)
- Finland agonises over Kosovo by Tuomas Forsberg (May 1999)
- Intellectuals divided by events in Yugoslavia (27 April 1999)
- Balkans crisis triggers speculations about stability in the Baltic (23 April 1999)
- Neutrality said to leave Finland and Sweden weak in future Europe (November 1998)
- Finland's role in Europe subjected to 'realist' analysis, book review by Hannu Reime (November 1998)
Index of back issues
The in London